Nutrition & Natural Medicine
The doctor may recommend homeopathy and/or a nutritional consultation and the use of vitamins, minerals, herbal therapies and dietary modifications as a valuable part of your treatment plan. These will aid the body in a variety of ways, including:
- decreasing inflammation and pain
- decreasing muscle tension and spasm
- accelerating the repair of injured tissues
- preventing and treating colds and flu by stimulating immune system function
- decreasing stress, anxiety, and depression
- promoting better quality sleep
- improving allergies and sinus conditions
- decreasing heartburn, bloating, gas, and reflux
- lowering blood pressure and cholesterol
- decreasing liver toxicity associated with hepatitis or
long-term use of prescription medication
- decreasing motion sickness, pregnancy-related morning sickness, and nausea
- improving athletic performance
Our goal is to optimize your health, while at the same time saving you time and money, by providing you with the highest quality supplements available, at the lowest price available. The manufacturers of the products we provide have been carefully chosen by Dr. Ezgur based on their high standards and commitment to stringent laboratory testing for quality control, purity, and bioavailability. Inferior products may not be as effective. Regarding herbal products, standardized herbal extracts are used to ensure that there are adequate amounts of the active ingredients in the product for it to be effective.
- 10% off of all vitamins, minerals, and herbal supplements, when you purchase any product for the first time.
- 20% off all vitamins, minerals, and herbal supplements, when you purchase 2 or more of the same product.
- For many years, health experts have recommended that everyone take multiple vitamins daily, to reduce your risk of chronic disease (including cancer, heart disease, stroke, & diabetes), recover faster from illness & injuries, improve energy, mood, sleep, & physical/athletic performance.
- In a perfect world, a healthy diet is the best way to get your nutrients, but our world is far from perfect. Nobody eats a perfectly healthy diet, the soil in which food grows has become depleted of nutrients, and we are constantly exposed to environmental toxins and stress, which increase our need for nutrients and antioxidants.
Why most of the popular brand name multiple vitamins are inferior:
- Most contain doses up to the level of RDA’s, which are not high enough, according to current scientific literature.
- Most contain artificial fillers, preservatives, dyes, allergens, and don’t have the proper ratios and balance of key nutrients.
- Most use cheap nutrient sources, leading to low absorption and poor bio-availability, and contain iron, which can be toxic if you’re not anemic.
Why “Multigenics” multiple vitamin/mineral formula is recommended:
- This is hands-down, the single best multiple vitamin formula we have found. We recommend it to all patients, family, friends, and have personally used it for many years with great results.
- Comprehensive, safe, pure, iron-free formula, based on current scientific literature, with high levels of key nutrients in proper balance and ratios.
- High quality forms & sources of nutrients for optimal absorption and enhanced bioavailability.
- Great value. Multigenics costs only $15 per month, if you take advantage of the 20% discount by purchasing 2 bottles at a time.
- 1 pill at breakfast and 1 pill at dinner, and 1-2 pills at lunch, for a total of 3-4 pills per day.
- Take within 1-2 hours of eating food. If skipping a meal, it’s OK to take 2-3 pills at once, but it’s best to space the pills out over the course of the day. This is true of all multiples, because many of the water-soluble nutrients like vitamin C only remain in the bloodstream for 4-6 hours.
Vitamin D Deficiency Alert
Vitamin D deficiency is a serious epidemic that is associated with many diseases including increased risk of many forms of cancer, osteoporosis, colds, flus & other infections, poor immune system function, and seasonal affective disorder (the winter “blues”), or “S.A.D.” The scientific literature confirms that that due to the wide use of sunscreen and lack of exposure to sunlight, most people are deficient in vitamin D. Furthermore, the current recommended daily allowance (RDA’s) for Vitamin D are currently way too low and are in the process of being raised. This means that the amount of Vitamin D in fortified milk or in multiple vitamins is not high enough to boost low levels back up to normal. Most experts recommend that everyone have their Vitamin D levels checked with a simple blood test. So get your levels checked ASAP, and send your test results to Dr. Ezgur. Based on the results of your test, Dr. Ezgur will recommend the optimal dosage of Vitamin D for you. If it’s going to be a few months until you can get tested, then just start taking 2,000 IU per day, until you get your blood levels checked. The best form of Vitamin D to take is a Vitamin D3 liquid. We carry a very high quality, easily absorbed, and affordable vitamin D3 liquid. 2,000 IU is just two little drops from the eyedropper that comes with the bottle. 1 bottle costs $20.00, and will last most people 4-6 months.
Colds & Flu Natural Treatment & Prevention Protocol
By implementing the following protocol, you can expect results ranging from significantly shortening the duration and intensity of symptoms, to completely eliminating all symptoms within several hours. The key to successful treatment is early intervention. This means that you should take action as soon as you are experiencing even the slightest early symptoms.
- HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES can be used both for prevention and treatment. There are 5 remedies commonly used for cold & flu treatment & prevention that Dr. Ezgur recommends. Ranked in order of effectiveness, they are: influenzinum, oscillococcinum (oscillo), engystol, mucococcinum, and baccilinum. Because these natural remedies have been so highly diluted, they are non-toxic, will not interact with any other medications, and completely safe for all individuals, including pregnant women, infants, and children. Whether used as an alternative to the “flu shot”, or in conjunction with it, these remedies work very well to boost the body’s natural immune system defenses and help to prevent colds and flus. However, if you actually become ill with cold or flu-like symptoms, you should schedule a 30-40 minute homeopathy appointment with Dr. Ezgur, as soon as possible for optimal results. During this appointment, a more specific homeopathic remedy will be prescribed. This is usually the most effective way to decrease your symptoms and rapidly accelerate full recovery, even if you have developed a secondary infection, like bronchitis or pneumonia. If you prefer not to choose homeopathic treatment, then the supplements 2-5 described below can also be quite effective in shortening the duration and intensity of colds and flu’s.
Note: These remedies work in the same way that all homeopathic remedies do. They trigger a healing reaction of the body, which makes it less susceptible to disease (the flu, in this case). It works similar in theory to the conventional flu shot. But because it is prepared as a homeopathic remedy, it is much more diluted, and therefore much safer than the flu shot, with no side effects. Influenzinum and these other remedies will not cause you to get the flu or flu-like symptoms, as is common with the flu shot. It safe and effective in patients of all ages, so you can share it with your friends and family. To prevent colds & flu, it is also recommended that you follow conventional medical advice including frequent washing of hands and avoiding touching your face and eyes with unwashed hands.
ACUTE ILLNESS: Schedule a 30-40 minute homeopathy appointment with Dr. Ezgur, ASAP, for optimal results.A less effective strategy, but still very effective, is to take each of the 5 remedies listed above, in a rotation of 1 different remedy each hour. If you prefer to take less remedies, you could choose 2 or 3 of the 5 and take just those. Dosage for all remedies except oscillo is just 1 pellet, dissolved under the tongue. For oscillo, take 5-10 pellets, or a sip of the medicated water, as instructed on the package
PREVENTION: Take each of the 5 remedies listed above, in a rotation of 1 different remedy each week, throughout the cold/flu season (September – April). If you prefer to take less remedies, you could choose 2 or 3 of the 5 and take just those. Dosage for all remedies except oscillo is just 1 pellet, dissolved under the tongue. For oscillo, take 5-10 pellets, or a sip of the medicated water, as instructed on the package.
- SYSTEM WELL ULTIMATE IMMUNITY is the most comprehensive immune-boosting herbal supplement currently available. It contains echinacea, Vitamin C, and many other herbs that are highly effective in stimulating the immune system. Do not use echinacea for more than 3 days if you are immune compromised, HIV+, or have auto-immune disease.
ACUTE ILLNESS: 3 pills, 3 times per day, either with food or on an empty stomach
PREVENTION: 2 pills, 2 times per day, for a few days anytime you think that you may have been exposed. You can also take it for 2 weeks on, and then 2 weeks off, throughout the cold/flu season.
- ULTRA POTENT VITAMIN C
ACUTE ILLNESS: 2,000 – 10, 000 mg. per day, in divided doses, taken with food every few hours. (The amount you should take should be just under your natural “threshold” for vitamin C, which varies with each individual. You know you’ve reached your threshold if you begin to experience loose stool or diarrhea. If this occurs, back off 500 mg. at a time. Your threshold for vitamin C tends to increase when you are ill due to a temporary proliferation of cells called receptors which aid in its absorption.)
PREVENTION: 1 pills, 1 time per day, OR just take SYSTEM WELL (which contains vitamin C) throughout the cold/flu season.
- HOMEOPATHIC ZINC NASAL GEL has been confirmed by scientific literature to decrease the duration and intensity of the symptoms of the common cold. Based on the active ingredient in Zicam (zinc gluconate 4x), this new formulation comes in an aloe vera base, making it safe, soothing, and comfortable to use.
ACUTE ILLNESS: Use a cotton swab to apply a small dab of the gel to the inside of both nostrils. The gel should be applied to the very outer opening, only about 1/4 inch in. Do not insert the cotton swab any further than that. Once the gel is in, gently massage the nostrils for a few seconds, and wait at least 1 minute before blowing the nose to remove the excess gel. Apply the gel 3 times per day.
- LAURICIDIN contains lauric acid, which is a fatty acid shown to interfere with the production of virus, bacteria, & other microbes, by weakening their envelopes & cell membranes. Also helps to fight heart disease, raise HDL (the “good” cholesterol), & reduce inflammation. The product is consumed by swallowing 1 scoop (included) of the very small pellets. Swallow whole – do not chew.
ACUTE ILLNESS: 1 scoop of lauricidin pellets, 3 times per day, until symptoms are gone. May be taken either with or without food.
PREVENTION: 1 scoop per day throughout the cold/flu season.
Other Helpful Suggestions:
- COME IN FOR TREATMENT! SPINAL MANIPULATION (CHIROPRACTIC ADJUSTMENT) & ACUPUNCTURE have both been shown through research studies to stimulate immune system activity, and relieve chest & sinus congestion & pressure.
- WATER intake is critical, at least 12 glasses per day.
- JUICES are a form of sugar, which inhibits the immune system. All sugar-containing products, including juice, should be used sparingly.
- SLEEP is probably the most important ingredient. Get plenty of it.
- NETI POT is very useful for sinus infections, runny nose, and congestion to speed recovery, decrease symptoms, and prevent & treat bacterial infection. Use with water treatment packets provided, as directed, 3 times per day, for sinus symptoms.
- BRONCHORIL is a natural cough expectorant & suppressant. It contains guaifenesin, mullein leaf, marshmallow root, fenugreek, and other natural ingredients to clear bronchial airways and loosen phlegm. Dosage: 2 tablets, 3 times per day. Best on empty stomach.
- Tilt your head to the side and apply a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into 1 ear, making sure it enters the outer ear canal. You will feel a bubbling sensation – this is normal. Wait a few minutes until the sensation subsides, and then apply a few drops to the other ear. This is an old home remedy that works remarkably well to reduce the duration and severity of the common cold.
- At the first onset of your cold symptoms, skip the next 2 meals, and begin drinking 1 glass of water every 10 minutes for then next hour. If you don’t have much of an appetite, then don’t eat. If you do become very hungry and feel a strong desire for food, try to eat sparingly. The best foods during the acute phase of a cold are those that are easy to digest and anti-inflammatory, so fresh vegetable juice is best. Fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds are also good options and fatty meats and dairy should be avoided or used sparingly.
- Unless your temperature is over 102, your body will fight off the infection faster if you raise your body temperature. You can do this by taking a very hot bath while placing an ice pack on your head. Soak for 10-20 minutes, and repeat several times each day, until feeling better.
The Impact Of Dietary Sugar On Health
The amount of dietary sugar you consume is of vital importance to your overall health. Too much sugar consumption will typically cause your blood glucose levels to become elevated, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging, and an overall shortened life span. In an effort to reduce their risk of heart disease, millions of Americans have focused on reducing dietary fat consumption. Ironically, this may actually be making the problem worse. Many “low fat” foods, contain excessive amounts of added sugar in order to make them more palatable. A better approach would be to focus on eating foods containing health-promoting fats (as found in fish, avocados, nuts, seeds, and monounsaturated fats like olive and coconut oil), and limit the consumption of sugar and harmful fats such as hydrogenated oils.
So, for optimal health including prevention of heart disease I recommend that you avoid sugar as much as possible, and avoid artificial sweeteners and added sugars completely. Avoiding sodas, sweetened beverages of all kinds, and limiting your consumption of processed foods will make a big difference for most people, and is a great place to start. Generally, most adults should limit their fructose consumption to 25 grams per day, and limit your fructose from fruit to 15 grams per day. Fructose is generally considered more harmful than even regular sugar (sucrose), and high fructose corn syrup may be the most health-damaging form of fructose available. Honey and agave syrup both contain high amounts of fructose, so although natural, they should be used sparingly.
3 tips to reduce your sugar consumption and stay healthy:
- If you are looking for healthy alternatives to sugar, I recommend either the herb stevia or pure glucose (dextrose)
- To control your sweet tooth, keep in mind that regular exercise can significantly decrease your sugar cravings.
- Another useful tip: try drinking water with some fresh lemon juice whenever you get a sugar craving.
Best of luck in staying sugar-free (or close to it), naturally!
Dietary Recommendations To Promote Health
Many chronic health problems stem from pro-inflammatory foods, or foods that tend to encourage inflammation. Pro-inflammatory foods can vary from person to person, depending on your unique constitution. These foods can trigger or worsen many conditions including chronic pain, headaches, gastrointestinal problems, allergies, recurring infections, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression, ADHD, skin problems, and can generally interfere with the body’s healing and self-regulating processes. Another important factor to consider is the glycemic index of foods. Foods with a higher glycemic index, such as simple or refined carbohydrates, are harmful because they cause more dramatic spikes in blood sugar, leading to weight gain, diabetes, heart disease and other health problems. For detailed information about glycemic index click here: http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
Because no single diet is best for everyone, several approaches have been developed in an attempt to predict which foods will be more beneficial or harmful to a specific individual. These approaches are not as scientifically proven as other aspects of nutritional science, but warrant mentioning as they do show promise based upon significant clinical and anecdotal evidence. These approaches include nutritional typing, as advocated by Dr. Mercola at: http://products.mercola.com/nutritional-typing/. Another similar approach is described in book “Eat Right For Your Type”, by Peter D’Adamo: http://www.dadamo.com/ , who utilizes blood typing to predict which foods are beneficial or harmful. A more scientifically accepted method (but still not always entirely accurate) used to determine which foods you may be sensitive to include blood tests to identify food allergy and/or food sensitivity. The elimination is an especially reliable method, but also is the most difficult and time-consuming to implement.
The elimination diet works by first avoiding all the common foods that humans are known to be sensitive to, for about one month. These foods include (in order of most commonly problematic to least): wheat, gluten, dairy, nightshade vegetables (bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant), corn, soy, citrus fruits, eggs, chicken, nuts, and fish. It is worth mentioning that wheat, gluten, and dairy are so commonly problematic, that most people suffering with chronic conditions of any kind tend to improve when eliminating these foods from the diet. After you notice that you are feeling better, you can add the foods listed above back into your diet, one food at a time. Evaluate how you feel with each new food addition for about 2 weeks before adding the next food. Any food that causes you to feel worse should be eliminated. When you have finished going through the list of foods, you should have a pretty clear idea of which foods you are sensitive to and therefore should avoid.
Regardless of what method you use, be sure to evaluate how you feel to determine which foods are best for you. Any food that makes you feel depleted of energy after eating it, or leads to weight gain or increased pain levels should probably be avoided. Whether you choose to experiment with these approaches or not, there are many foods that are harmful or beneficial to almost all individuals, regardless of any type of nutritional typing. These are the facts that we will emphasize in this discussion.
In general, most people would be far healthier by avoiding processed foods, soda (especially diet soda), sugars, simple carbohydrates (wheat, whole wheat, white bread, crackers, pasta, etc.), chemical additives & synthetic preservatives, fatty meats, smoked meat, heavily charred & grilled meat, and most dairy products. Most of these tend to have a pro-inflammatory effect on the body. Conversely, foods that tend to reduce levels of inflammation and promote improved health include fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes/beans, and most fish. A strict vegetarian diet may not be necessary, but a diet emphasizing more whole & natural foods including fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds is certainly more healthy than the typical American diet.
Although many people may be aware of this information, you may find it challenging to integrate these healthier choices into your lifestyle. However, most people find that with a bit of advance planning and a willingness to replace some old habits with new ones, it’s really not that difficult to eat healthy. Making an effort to buy most of your food for the week in advance, and making healthy choices when doing so, will go a long way. The challenge of eating a healthy breakfast “on the run” can be overcome by preparing a fresh smoothie. Lunch can be a green salad that you prepare at home in advance, or a store-bought prepared salad. Vary the ingredients, and include the amount and types of protein that you find provides you with the optimal amount of energy. Healthy protein sources may include eggs, nuts, seeds, lean meat such as turkey or chicken, fish, beans, and vegetarian meat substitutes like tempeh. Dinner may also include a lean, healthy source of protein, but make sure to include vegetables again. Grains and starches should be consumed sparingly, but healthier options include brown rice, quinoa, wild rice, barley, millet, and wheat berries.
If your goal is weight loss, follow all of the above advice, but also keep in mind that the most important factor in weight loss is calories consumed versus calories burned. Simply put, you need to burn more calories than you consume. The most reliable way to do this is to eat less and exercise more. By engaging in a cardiovascular workout 3 or more times per week, you will not only burn calories, but achieve a sustained increased metabolic rate, which will burn more calories, 24/7. Longer exercise times of greater than 30-45 minutes are especially effective. Interval training, where your heart rate fluctuates from higher to lower during the course of your exercise (as in walk/run type of exercise), is also especially effective. However, the most common pitfall for most people is portion control. We have become conditioned to eat way more than we should, especially if you are accustomed to dining out in restaurants, where portions are often 2-3 times larger than they should be to maintain an ideal body weight of a healthy adult. Many people find that they need to consume roughly half the amount of food that they are used to eating in order to achieve ideal body weight. As you consume less, it is normal to feel hungry. If you feel especially hungry between meals, try just eating a small piece of fruit and/or a small handful of nuts, seeds, or trail mix just to hold you over until you are ready for your next (small) meal. After a few weeks, your body tends to adjust to the reduced amount of food, and you will likely tend to become uncomfortably full if you return to your old ways of overeating.
One final suggestion is that fasting can be a very effective way to achieve better health and weight loss. Dr. Joel Fuhrman is a leading authority on fasting, which he explains in his highly recommended book: Fasting & Eating For Health. The most effective type of fast is the water-only fast, to be done for at least 2-3 days. Please consult the book and your healthcare provider before considering a prolonged water-only fast. A modified version of the fast is also considerably effective. For the modified fast, start out by consuming fruits and vegetables only for 2 days, then 2 days of freshly juiced vegetable juice, then 1 day of only water, then 2 days of freshly juiced vegetable juice, and then fruits and vegetables only for 2 days.
For healthy dietary tips and recipes, check out the following:
- The Health Promoting Cookbook, by Alan Goldhamer, D.C.: www.healthpromoting.com
- All books by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, including Eat To Live, The Pleasure Trap, and Fasting & Eating For Health: http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/books.aspx
- Recipes by Dr. Andrew Weil: http://www.drweil.com/drw/ecs/common/recipe.html
The health benefits of a well-prepared smoothie include weight loss and, combined with a healthy lifestyle, may aid in the prevention of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, stroke, arthritis, and many other chronic, degenerative diseases. Because of the combination of ingredients suggested below, the smoothie is a well-balanced meal and has a low glycemic index which is beneficial for providing long-lasting energy without promoting weight gain. The exact ingredients and proportions can be modified to suit your tastes but ideally should include the following:
- Ice cubes to start
- Coconut water as a healthy source of electrolytes and to provide desired consistency of the drink
- Fresh fruit for fiber and antioxidants
- Nuts and/or seeds for essentially fatty acids which reduce cholesterol and heart disease, in the same way that fish oil is known to do
- Yogurt for healthy probiotic cultures or coconut milk for another health-promoting fatty acid and long-lasting energy
- Whey protein powder as a healthy energy source, and contributing to a low glycemic index
- Traditional steel cut oatmeal (not instant) for fiber and lowering cholesterol
- 1 raw egg (optional) to provide additional protein and energy
- It’s best not to add any additional sugar, but a teaspoon of honey helps make the smoothie more palatable to some.
Ideally, you should vary the ingredients from time to time, but here are some preferences are based on taste and health benefits. As far as fruit is concerned, berries are very tasty and provide very high levels of antioxidants. Favorites include blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Pineapple and or banana is a great addition if you like the taste and desire a thicker smoothie. Some healthy nut options include almond, walnut, peanut, and macadamia. Seeds that are great for smoothies include pumpkin (useful in preventing prostate troubles), sunflower, flax & hemp (great source of health-promoting omega 3 fatty acids) and the less known but extremely health-promoting chia seed, which has an extremely high antioxidant profile.
Combine all ingredients in a blender, and your smoothie is ready to go – enjoy!